Welcome and thank you for your interest in the Psychiatry Residency Program at United Health Services Hospitals, NY. We are a hospital-based program offering an inspiring residency experience. We received ACGME accreditation in May 2023, and our inaugural intern class started July 2023. At UHS Psychiatry, you will learn from the diverse patient population and highly supportive and knowledgeable faculty. Through a flexible curriculum structure, we offer residents the opportunity to focus their training in specific areas of their interest such as inpatient psychiatry, interventional psychiatry, outpatient psychiatry, consult-liaison psychiatry and more.
Our psychiatry residency program and our health system aim to be a comprehensive regional mental health system whose mission is to improve the health of those we serve through our commitment to excellence in all that we do. The core values of UHS which include Compassion, Trust, Respect, Teamwork, and Innovation are our guiding lights in this mission.
- A socio-economically, ethnically, and culturally diverse patient population with a wide range of psychopathology
- Highly supportive and knowledgeable faculty
- Well balanced curriculum focused on academics with a strong emphasis on caring for the underserved communities
- Flexible elective scheduling in PGY-4 to let you explore avenues of interest
- Diverse clinical experience including rotations in state psychiatric hospital and training in electroconvulsive therapy
- Opportunities in research activities including participation in regional bio-medical conference poster sessions
- Comprehensive board preparation education
Purushothaman Muthukanagaraj, MD
Title: Program Director, Psychiatry Residency, Chairman and Director of Psychiatry
Medical School: K.A.P.V. Govt Medical College, Tiruchirappalli, India
Residency: Internal Medicine/Psychiatry, East Carolina University/Brody School of Medicine, Greenville, NC
Board Certifications: American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, American Board of Internal Medicine
Associate Program Director
Viral Goradia, MD
Medical School: MGM Medical College, Navi Mumbai, India
Residency: SUNY Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, NY
Fellowships: Addiction Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mt. Sinai, NY; Forensic Psych, SUNY Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, NY
Board Certifications: American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, Forensic Psychiatry, Addiction Psychiatry
- Nekpen Ekure, MD
- Sobia Mirza, MD
- Cherry Pareek, MD
- Julia Hunter, MD
- Joseph McCann, PsyD, JD
- Edward Major, MD
|Rizwana Asim, MD||Fatima Jinnah Medical University, Pakistan|
|Ifeoma Ikwuemesi, MD||University of Nigeria Faculty of Medicine, Nigeria|
|Afaque Hassan Khan, MD||Jinnah Sindh Medical University, Pakistan|
|Egbebalakhamen Osa, MD||University of Benin School of Medicine, Nigeria|
|Anna Srivastava, MD||Sikkim Manipal Institute of Medical Sciences, India|
|Amulya Upendram, MD||MediCiti Institute of Medical Sciences, India|
Stipends & Benefits
Salary: $60,890 (PGY-1)
- Health Insurance: UHSH is partnered with Excellus Blue Cross Blue Shield (BCBS) to provide our employees with Blue Preferred (UHS PPO). UHSH covers a major portion of the health insurance premiums. Premiums are deducted bi-weekly from your paycheck.
- Pharmacy: Prescriptions may be filled through UHS, an Excellus Blue Cross Blue Shield network pharmacy or through mail order.
- Life Insurance: Provided and paid for by the hospital, equal to your annual salary.
- Malpractice Insurance: Provided and paid for by the hospital.
- Dental Insurance: Standard and high option dental plans available at shared cost with the hospital.
- Vision Insurance: Shared cost with the hospital
- Wellness Rewards
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Direct Deposit
Personal Time Off: (vacations, interviews, unexpected absences including illnesses): 18 days (PGY-1), 25 days (PGY-2), 27 days (PGY-3). National holidays and Board exams are not deducted from Personal Time Off.
Moving Allowance: A moving allowance of $300 is provided to each resident.
Professional Development Fund: 1st and 2nd year residents are allotted $750/year to be used toward conferences, books, and/or other education expenses (i.e. PDA's, software, stethoscopes, etc.). Required programmatic dues will be paid for out of the fund. This allotment increases to $1,500 in your third year of residency which is designated for board review fees.
Academic Appointments: All residents receive an academic appointment as a Clinical Assistant Instructor at Upstate Medical University (SUNY), Syracuse, New York.
Resident Wellness / Fatigue Management: The hospital sponsors various activities through the House Staff Association for resident wellness.
Pharmacy: On-site pharmacy is location on the Wilson campus and is open 24/7.
Applications are accepted via ERAS (Electronic Residency Application System). Deadline to apply is December 31. Completed application includes:
- Personal Statement
- Curriculum Vitae
- Official transcript from your medical school
- Dean’s letter
- Three letters of recommendation
- USMLE and/or COMLEX scores
- We prefer applicants who have graduated from Medical School within the last five years, or who have not been away from clinical medicine for more than 5 years and /or who have had observerships in the U.S.
- Test Scores Preferred minimum:
- USMLE Step 2: (220)
- COMLEX Levels 1 and 2: 500 and above
- Applicants need to have passed Steps 1 and 2 prior to the Rank Order List deadline.
- Have applied for and received or are soon to receive ECFMG certification, if applicable.
- We accept J1 Visas