UHS exists for the purpose of meeting our community’s healthcare needs and continually improving its well-being. In a very real sense, UHS belongs to the community. The boards of directors of UHS and its member organizations serve as trustees of the system’s health resources. UHS was established in 1981 as a not-for-profit organization, in recognition of its community role and its obligation to return health, social and economic benefit to the community. With a workforce of 6,500 UHS is the largest employer in Broome and surrounding counties.
UHS Hospitals provides a full range of medical, surgical, rehabilitative, and long-term care services from more than 60 locations around New York’s Southern Tier. It is the largest and most comprehensive health care organization in the Greater Binghamton area, whose patient coverage area encompasses all of Broome County and much of Central New York and North Central Pennsylvania.
UHS offers graduate medical education at facilities around New York with fully accredited, SUNY Upstate affiliated residency programs in Internal Medicine, Family Medicine, Pharmacy, Podiatry and Preliminary Medicine Year. Accredited fellowships offered at our UHS facilities around New York include Cardiovascular Disease, Gastroenterology, Geriatrics, Sports Medicine, and Neuro-Critical Care. In addition, we offer an Endovascular Surgical Radiology fellowship which is non-accredited. This fellowship was established in 2011 and based on the guidelines of the ACGME.
UHS offers numerous advantages for trainees including:
- Extensive didactic schedules including daily conferences, weekly Grand Rounds, monthly specialty sessions (such as Tumor Boards), as well as five regional Teaching Days annually
- Fully vested attending physicians, faculty educators and preceptors, and medical education support staff
- A wide range of clinical pathology and a diverse patient population encompassing a wide geographical area
- Level II Trauma Center facilities with Life Flight capability
- New York State designated stroke center
- EPIC comprehensive health record system beginning September 2020
- Fully staffed nursing, support, and ancillary services, on-hand to support patient care and medical training
- Low cost-of-living combined with a high salary and outstanding benefits
- Excellent work-life balance with a reasonable workload and a vibrant Upstate New York community
United Health Services (UHS) is an umbrella organization that oversees:
- Four hospitals including Wilson Medical Center, Binghamton General, Chenango Memorial and Delaware Valley with more than 600 physicians on our medical staff and 60 locations to serve you.;
- UHSH Medical Group, a 323-member multi-specialty group medical practice consisting of Primary Care (including residency clinics) as well as a full range of medical and surgical specialists;
- Over 60 medical and surgical practice locations throughout the Greater Binghamton area;
- Four Walk-In Centers located in Binghamton, Vestal, Endicott and Chenango Bridge;
- UHS Home Care
Greater Binghamton is a safe, affordable and friendly community that has a sophisticated cultural life, lively spectator sports and accessible outdoor recreation. Many of our parks have working antique carousels, and opportunities for camping, hiking, skiing and boating abound. You'll also find minor league baseball and hockey, museums, art galleries, coffee-houses, a zoo, shopping malls, restaurants to suit every taste, several performing arts venues and a wide array of cultural festivals throughout the year.
There are many housing options in the Greater Binghamton area including apartments, townhouses, single-family homes or shared living rentals that can meet the needs those in our residency programs in the Binghamton, New York area. Whether you are looking for an urban lifestyle in a suburban setting, fun and entertainment of city life, or the casual peace of country living, our Real Estate Manager can help you locate a place that meets your needs.
Greater Binghamton has many golf courses and hosts a Professional Golf tour event. There are professional opera, theater and symphony orchestra companies nearby. Major metropolitan areas such as: New York City, Boston, Philadelphia, and Washington, D.C., are only a few hours away:
Philadelphia, PA 190 miles
New York, NY 200 miles
Buffalo, NY 205 miles
Washington, DC 294 miles
Boston, MA 296 miles
At UHS Hospitals around New York, we are as committed to undergraduate medical education as we are to our residency programs. Medical Students are given support and encouragement from attendings that recognize the importance of hands-on learning.
4th Year Elective Rotations
- Anesthesiology, Family Medicine Ambulatory, Family Medicine Rural/Underserved, Osteopathic Recognition Track (OMM), Orthopedic Surgery, Pulmonology, Uro/GYN Surgery, Plastic Surgery
- Sub-Internships – Family Medicine, Internal Medicine, Critical Care
Please contact our Student Coordinator at Holly.Blakney@nyuhs.org.
Core Rotations for Osteopathic Students
- Family Medicine
- Internal Medicine
- General Surgery
- SUNY Upstate Medical University Clinical Campus
- New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine (NYITCOM)
- Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (PCOM)
- TOURO College of Osteopathic Medicine – Harlem, NY; Middletown, NY; Vallejo, California
- Lincoln Memorial University – DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine
Applicants for residency programs at UHSH must complete an application through ERAS (Electronic Residency Application System). The deadline to apply is December 31.
Application should include:
- Common Application Form (CAF)
- Personal Statement
- Medical School Transcript
- Medical Student Performance Evaluation (MSPE)/Dean’s letter
- Letters of Recommendation (LoRs) (Minimum of 3)
- USMLE Transcript (as applicable)
- COMLEX Transcript (as applicable)
- Educational Commission on Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) status, (International Medical Graduates only).
Off-cycle applications or those outside of ERAS are not accepted, and all applications must comply with the ERAS application timeline.
Applicants for fellowship programs at UHS facilities in New York should refer to the respective fellowship section of our website for information on applying to these programs.
We only participate in the NRMP Match.
- Graduated medical school within the past 5 years.
- Successful completion of Steps 1 and 2 of the USMLE or COMLEX exams including Clinical Skills or the Performance Evaluation, all on the first attempt.
- Applicants to residency programs need to have passed Steps 1 and Step 2 (both parts) prior to the Rank Order List deadline.
- International Medical Graduates need to submit evidence of ECFMG certification in order to be considered for ranking.
We do not offer observerships or externships.
Wilson Medical Center Match Codes
NRMP Program Codes
|Cardiovascular Disease Fellowship||1452141F0|
|Internal Medicine - Categorical||1452140M0|
|Internal Medicine - Preliminary Medicine Year||1452140P0|
|Sports Medicine Fellowship||1452127F0|
Important Application and Match Links
Dear Future Resident:
Choosing a residency program is one of the most important career decisions you will make. By now, you realize the complexity of the process and the stress it creates. This website will help you learn more about our program academics and the ways we strive to meet the personal and professional needs of our residents.
The residency programs and fellowships at Wilson Medical Center, United Health Services Hospitals continue our commitment of over 50 years to teaching tomorrow's physicians. While primary care is the emphasis in our three-year categorical programs, we are widely recognized for our Transitional and Preliminary Year internships, Podiatry Residency, Sports Medicine and Geriatric Fellowships.
In addition, we are pleased to announce that we recently received ACGME Accreditation for a Cardiovascular Disease Fellowship Program effective July 1, 2017. We have also received initial ACGME Accreditation for a new Gastroenterology Fellowship Program effective July 1, 2018.
All residencies are fully funded and accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME), American Osteopathic Association (AOA), and Council on Podiatric Medical Education. Since the mid-1990s, our program has been designated substantially compliant with New York State and ACGME work hour requirements. We are a major affiliate and regional campus for Upstate Medical University in Syracuse, NY, and the Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine in Philadelphia, PA with nearly 100 third and fourth year medical students on site.
Because our residency programs are unopposed and of medium size, our 70+ residents learn to practice by working closely with full time teaching faculty and more than 300 attendings. Good clinical judgment and confidence are developed with a high degree of direct patient contact and participation in medical decision making under close supervision of experienced physicians.
The nurturing, supportive environment is complemented by our nurse teachers, pharmacists with special interest in teaching, and experienced medical education professional staff. In addition, our amazing program directors are inspirational mentors who have your best interest in mind and support the goals you set for yourself. Program directors and faculty work as tirelessly as you do to help you manage your workload and develop into a confident, capable physician.
We work directly with our residents to create an environment that allows you to balance work life with friends, family and the community.
We appreciate your interest in our residency programs. Best wishes for a successful match!
Rajesh Davé, MD
Executive Vice President and Chief Medical Officer
Amine Hila, MD
VP, Academic Affairs & Physician Engagement
DIO, Director of Graduate Medical Education
Binghamton, New York, is a city known for its lively art scene, historical architecture and beautiful parks. The Greater Binghamton area has of a network of small cities and quaint villages, rolling hills, and a variety of wildlife. It is situated within an hour from the Finger Lakes region of New York State, known for its breathtaking autumn foliage, world-class wineries, and beautiful lakes. For more information “Around the Binghamton and Surrounding Areas” go to: www.visitbinghamton.org.
Cider Mill Farmstand, Endicott, NY
Lone Maple Farm, Binghamton, NY
Oneonta Bus Lines
Short Line Buses
Turning Stone Casino and Resort, Verona, NY
Colleges and Universities
SUNY Broome, Binghamton, NY
American Family Fitness, Vestal, NY
Court Jester Athletic Club, Johnson City, NY
Gaslamp Gym, Binghamton, NY
Planet Fitness, Vestal, NY
Riverwalk Athletic Club
Cinema Saver, Endicott, NY
Regal Cinemas, Binghamton, NY
Museums and Zoos
Kopernik Observatory, Vestal, NY
Roberson Museum of Arts and Sciences, Binghamton, NY
Ross Park Zoo, Binghamton, NY
Corning Museum of Glass, Corning, NY
National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum, Cooperstown, NY
Finch Hollow Nature Center
Howe Caverns, Howe Caves, NY
Health Beat Natural Foods, Johnson City, NY
Binghamton Philharmonic, Binghamton, NY
Broadway Theater League, Binghamton, NY
The Goodwill Theatre Performing Arts Center & School
Parks and Recreation
Broome County Parks
Buttermilk Falls State Park, Ithaca, NY
New York State Parks
Town Square Mall, Vestal, NY
Destiny USA, Syracuse, NY
The Crossings Premium Outlets, Tannersville, PA
Skiing & Snowboarding
Elk Mountain, Union Dale, PA
Sports, Car Racing
Binghamton Rumble Ponies Baseball, Binghamton, NY
Binghamton Black Bears Ice Hockey, Binghamton, NY
Binghamton University Bearcats, Binghamton, NY
Watkins Glen International Car Racing, Watkins Glen, NY
Syracuse University Orangemen, Syracuse, NY