Geriatric Medicine Fellowship
The UHS Hospitals Geriatric Medicine Fellowship Program was established in 2005 and is fully accredited by the ACGME. The structured, one-year curriculum is designed with flexibility in mind, offering you a combination of focused training and a comfortable lifestyle. If you are a dedicated physician who works well in teams, possesses exceptional organizational skills and knowledge base, and who is committed to offering your patients the best possible treatment with a compassionate approach, then our Geriatrics Fellowship is the right fit for you.
Our program advances the education, skills and successful careers of fellows within geriatrics. Fellows have unique opportunities to work closely with and teach residents and work with general and gero-psych fellows from Columbia University Stroud Center Statewide Psychiatry Fellowship Program, as well as students rotating through the Greater Binghamton Health Center through our affiliation with Binghamton University and Upstate Medical University Medical School. Fellows participate in the evaluation and management of a wide-array of elderly patients in numerous settings including outpatient consultation service, inpatient, home care, skilled nursing and assisted living facilities.
- Structured, one-year program that is flexible with individual professional and personal goals
- UHS Wilson Regional Medical Center is a high-tech, regional referral and Level 2 trauma center
- An extensive and diverse patient population
- Solid, well-established base residency programs
- Two full service nursing homes integrated into the program
- Didactic conferences including weekly conferences, Grand Rounds, Journal Club and specialty teaching days
- Fellows participate in memory care clinic/geriatrics consultation services provided in the community
- Strong behavioral science component with weekly clinical and teaching interactions with the Columbia University geri-psych fellows and faculty
- Affiliation with Binghamton University School of Nursing Elder Services
- Limited on-call
- Participation in the United Health Services inpatient and outpatient palliative care program
- Affiliated with SUNY-Upstate Medical University and Columbia University Stroud Center Statewide Psychiatry Fellowship Program
Graduate physicians who are competent to:
- Provide quality, "best-practice" geriatric primary care
- Serve at an expert, consultant level for selected complex and problematic patients, in and out of the hospital
- Become medical director of a long-term care institution
- Give expert advice to organizations regarding system and patient-specific issues pertaining to geriatrics
- Teach the geriatrics curriculum of an Internal or Family Medicine Residency
Participating Facilities, Organizations
- Wilson Regional Medical Center and Binghamton General Hospital
- Senior Living at Ideal
- Primary Care Johnson City
- UHS Medical Group
- Professional Home Care
- Willow Point Rehabilitation and Nursing Center
Rana Ahmad, MD, CMD
Program Director, Geriatrics Board Certified
Medical School: Nishtar Medical College
Residency: St. Elizabeth Medical Center
Fellowship: UHS Hospitals
James T. Crosby, MD
Faculty, Geriatric Medicine, Family Medicine, Obstetrics/Gynecology and Primary Care Board Certified
Medical School: SUNY Syracuse
Residency: UHS Hospitals
Spencer Eisenberg, DO, CMD
Faculty, Geriatrics Board Certified
Medical School: New York College of Osteopathic Medicine
Residency: UHS Hospitals
Fellowship: UHS Hospitals
Philip Dzwonczyk, MD
Faculty, Geriatric, Hospice and Palliative and Internal Medicine Board Certified
Medical School: Jefferson Medical College
Residency: Mary Imogene Bassett Hospital
- Aasiya Haroon, MD
- Sandita Seecharan Reddammagari, MD, MBA
- Corina Arana, DO
- Spencer Eisenberg, DO
- Lilia Ponton, MD
- Ranjit Yelamanchi, MD
- Rana Ahmad, MD
- Shoaib Asgher, MD
- Jerome Mikloucich, DO
- Meera Sohail, MD
- Bella Zimilevich, MD
- Shawn Berkowitz, MD
- Donna Husmann, MD
|Training Type||Description||% of Time|
|Nursing Home||Ideal Senior Living and Willow Point Rehab and Nursing Centers||20%|
|Geriatric Outpatient Care||Full spectrum Geriatric outpatient care in various locations||20%|
|Subspecialty Experiences||Office preceptorships, uro-gynecology, urology, neurology, endocrinology rheumatology, end-of-life/palliative care, geriatric cardiology, dementia, gero-psych, administrative med, self-study||20%|
|Geriatric Inpatient Care||Provide inpatient geriatric consultation on as needed basis. Also includes inpatient palliative care rotation||10%|
|Primary Outpatient Care||Full spectrum general outpatient care in primary specialty||10%|
|Scholarly Activity||Academic study or project||10%|
|Home Care||Follow selected patients who are home-bound or require home care||5%|
|Didactic Curriculum||Includes weekly case and topic review with faculty, American Geriatrics Society Core Syllabus and annual meeting, journal club and a series of psych lectures through Columbia University Faculty||5%|
Stipends & Benefits
- Health Insurance: UHSH is partnered with Excellus Blue Cross Blue Shield (BCBS) to provide our employees with Blue Preferred (UHS PPO). UHSH covers a major portion of the health insurance premiums. Premiums are deducted bi-weekly from your paycheck.
- Pharmacy: Prescriptions may be filled through UHS, an Excellus Blue Cross Blue Shield network pharmacy or through mail order.
- Life Insurance: Provided and paid for by the hospital, equal to your annual salary.
- Malpractice Insurance: Provided and paid for by the hospital.
- Dental Insurance: Standard and high option dental plans available at shared cost with the hospital.
- Vision Insurance: Shared cost with the hospital
- Wellness Rewards
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Direct Deposit
Personal Time Off: (vacations, holidays, board exams, interviews, unexpected absences including illnesses): 27 days
Moving Allowance: A moving allowance of $300 is provided to each resident.
Professional Development Fund: Each fellow is allotted $1,500/year to be used towards professional development, conferences, books, tablets/computers, software, stethoscopes, etc.
Academic Appointments: All fellows receive an academic appointment as a Clinical Assistant Instructor at Upstate Medical University (SUNY), Syracuse, New York.
Athletic/Gym Privileges: Fellows have access to the non-fee based athletic facilities at Binghamton University: gymnasium, weight room, indoor and outdoor tracks, pools, racquetball and tennis courts.
Licensure: Obtaining a full New York medical license is required of fellows. NYS licensure fees are covered by GME.
Successful completion of a residency in Family Medicine or Internal Medicine from an ACGME accredited program. The interested applicant should apply to our program using the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS), July through November 1st, to include the following:
- Personal Statement
- Current Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Letters of Recommendation (Minimum of 3), including 1 from your Residency Program Director
- USMLE and/or COMLEX transcript, as applicable
- Intent to take the Family Medicine or Internal Medicine board exam and the Geriatric board exam
For more information, email: Amanda.Klovekorn@nyuhs.org.