Become a Volunteer
As we take the welfare of our community members, patients and staff seriously during the COVID 19 Pandemic, the UHS Volunteer and Shadow programs will not be accepting applications for volunteering and shadowing at this time. Thank you for your understanding. We will update this page once we are accepting applications.
If you’d like to become a UHS volunteer, please contact the hospital of your choice:
- UHS Wilson Medical Center: Call our Volunteer Services Office at 607-763-6149
- UHS Binghamton General Hospital: Call our Volunteer Services Office at 607-762-2319
- UHS Chenango Memorial Hospital: Call our Volunteer Services Office at 607-337-4151
- UHS Delaware Valley Hospital: Call our Volunteer Services Office at 607-865-2409
Volunteers have always been a vital part of UHS Hospitals, and today they play an even greater role in our continued success.
Volunteers come from all age groups. They enjoy rewarding opportunities and take great pride in their efforts. They also find fulfillment in the hospital’s stimulating environment, achieve work experience and make new friends.
Our volunteer program is designed to fit your unique interests and abilities, and best of all, your schedule. You can volunteer when it’s most convenient for you. So, if you have a little time and the inclination to help others, please consider joining our terrific team of volunteers at any of our four hospitals.
Volunteers Help in Almost Every Hospital Department
We appreciate the qualities our volunteers bring to UHS, and we put them to good use. Our volunteer opportunities vary by hospital, but may include:
- Admission/discharge escorts and greeters who escort patients to/from their rooms at admission and discharge, greet and assist patients who are admitted or who are using outpatient services, and walk with patients and visitors to their destinations.
- Ambulatory care center/pre-admission testing volunteers transport patients, deliver laboratory work, file or serve as hosts.
- Volunteers staff the gift shops at UHS Wilson Medical Center, UHS Binghamton General Hospital, UHS Chenango Memorial Hospital and Delaware Valley Hospitals.
- Volunteers also staff the snack bars at UHS Wilson Medical Center and UHS Binghamton General Hospital.
- Patient information volunteers provide directions and other information to patients and visitors.
- Volunteers deliver flowers and cards to patients.
- Mailing and clerical assistants address and sort hospital publications for mailing and perform other clerical tasks.
- Surgical hosts serve refreshments and relay messages to families of patients who are undergoing surgery.
Become a Volunteer
- Join the Auxiliary. Our auxiliaries are composed of people from a wide variety of backgrounds, who believe in and are committed to the work we do.
- UHS Junior Volunteer Summer Program is open. This program is open to high school students age 15+. Incoming high school seniors must complete 20 hours of general volunteering prior to clinical rotations. Contact Volunteer Services at (607)763-6149.
- The UHS Shadow Program offers qualified students, in an approved academic institution, the opportunity to observe various professionals as they function within the work setting. The length of the program may vary up to, but not to exceed, a total of 12 hours. This is not a “hands-on” experience. It is an observation and information experience only. Volunteer Services does not coordinate shadowing with Physicians, Physician Assts, Behavior/Mental Health Services and Maternal and Children's Services. Contact Volunteer Services at (607)763-6149.