Become a Volunteer
NYSDOH and UHS require all staff and volunteers to be COVID vaccinated and follow masking protocols.
If you’d like to become a UHS volunteer, please contact the hospital of your choice:
- UHS Wilson Medical Center: Call our Volunteer Services Office at 607-763-6149
- UHS Binghamton General Hospital: Call our Volunteer Services Office at 607-762-2319
- UHS Chenango Memorial Hospital: Call our Volunteer Services Office at 607-337-4151
- UHS Delaware Valley Hospital: Call our Volunteer Services Office at 607-865-2409
Volunteers have always been a vital part of UHS Hospitals, and today they play an even greater role in our continued success.
Volunteers come from all age groups. They enjoy rewarding opportunities and take great pride in their efforts. They also find fulfillment in the hospital’s stimulating environment, achieve work experience and make new friends.
Our volunteer program is designed to fit your unique interests and abilities, and best of all, your schedule. You can volunteer when it’s most convenient for you. So, if you have a little time and the inclination to help others, please consider joining our terrific team of volunteers at any of our four hospitals.
We appreciate the qualities our volunteers bring to UHS. Our hospital volunteer opportunities vary by location, but may include:
- Volunteers staff the gift shops at UHS Wilson Medical Center, UHS Binghamton General Hospital, UHS Chenango Memorial Hospital and Delaware Valley Hospitals.
- Admission/discharge escorts and greeters who escort patients to/from their rooms at admission and discharge, greet and assist patients who are admitted or who are using outpatient services, and walk with patients and visitors to their destinations.
- Ambulatory care center/pre-admission testing volunteers transport patients, deliver laboratory work, file or serve as hosts.
- Clerical assistants address and sort hospital publications for mailing and perform other clerical tasks.
- Surgical hosts serve refreshments and relay messages to families of patients who are undergoing surgery.
- Dietary - Volunteers assist with tasks in the kitchen and cafeteria areas of the hospitals.
- Patient Transportation - Volunteers assist staff with transporting and discharging of patients.
- Greeters - Assist patients and visitors with wayfinding and directions.
Become a Volunteer
- Join the Auxiliary. Our auxiliaries are composed of people from a wide variety of backgrounds, who believe in and are committed to the work we do.
- UHS Junior Volunteer Summer Program is open. This program is open to high school students age 15+. Incoming high school seniors must complete 20 hours of general volunteering prior to clinical rotations. Contact Volunteer Services at (607)762-2319.
- The UHS Shadow Program offers qualified students, in an approved academic institution, the opportunity to observe various professionals as they function within the work setting. The length of the program may vary up to, but not to exceed, a total of 12 hours. This is not a “hands-on” experience. It is an observation and information experience only. Volunteer Services does not coordinate shadowing with Physicians, Physician Assts, Behavior/Mental Health Services and Maternal and Children's Services. Contact Volunteer Services at (607)763-6149.