Emergency and Trauma Services
In a medical emergency, dial 911.
Open 24 hours a day, every day, the Emergency Room Departments at all four UHS hospitals offer high-quality medical services delivered by physicians and nurses trained in emergency and trauma medicine. These emergency medical departments are equipped to handle situations ranging from acute medical and surgical emergencies to other urgent illnesses and injuries. UHS Wilson Medical Center is also a New York state designated area trauma center and stroke center.
Is a Walk-In Center an option?
- For minor illnesses and injuries, UHS operates several Walk-In Centers that are appropriate for acute illnesses that aren’t life threatening.
- Click here to view a quick reference guide that may help you decide where to go for care.
Tips While Going to the Hospital
If you’re heading to a hospital emergency room department, here are some tips:
- Bring a list of all medications with you. This should include all prescription and over-the-counter medications, vitamins, herbs and any supplements you take. Be sure you know each item’s name, dosage (how much you take) and schedule (how often you take them).
- If you don’t have a list of your medications, bring the prescription/medicine bottles with you.
- Bring a list of any allergies you have to medications, tape, food, latex and environmental sources. Be sure you know what type of reaction you have to these.
- Know your medical and surgical history, especially any life-threatening illnesses or injuries and any major surgeries.
- Know who your primary care physician is.
- Bring your health insurance cards/information.
- Don’t have anything else to eat or drink until after you’ve been seen by the triage nurse, and only if she/he says you can eat or drink following this assessment.
What you can expect at our emergency departments
When you come to the emergency room department at any UHS hospital, a triage nurse will assess your condition. Please understand that we treat the most seriously ill/injured patients first.
New Emergency Dept. and Walk-In Center now open UHS Chenango Memorial Hospital
The new Emergency Department and Walk-in Center are now open and seeing patients at UHS Chenango Memorial Hospital in Norwich. Learn more about the new facilities.Learn More >
Make blood donation part of holiday plansDecember 02, 2022
As we celebrate the holidays, the American Red Cross is encouraging those who are eligible to give something that can save a life – a blood donation!
Maintain, Don’t Gain this holiday seasonDecember 01, 2022
The average American gains between 1-5 pounds during the holidays. The extra weight can accumulate over time and make it more difficult to get back to a healthy weight.
Take action to avoid getting and spreading the fluNovember 30, 2022
This is flu season, and healthcare professionals are seeing a concerning uptick in cases of influenza and respiratory syncytial virus (RSV).
Huge crane to work at UHS Wilson site for 5 monthsNovember 29, 2022
The Wilson Project construction site now includes a huge crane that will begin the steel work at the project construction site. The crane’s assembly will impact traffic patterns in the area for four days.