Vascular Services & Treatments
Early detection and prompt treatment can be vitally important for patients with vascular disease. At UHS, our vascular laboratories and interventional radiology suite provide 24-hour comprehensive care, even for the most challenging and difficult cases. Our laboratories are fully staffed by technologists and physicians, even on weekends and holidays. Our New York vascular surgeons work closely with the hospital emergency and trauma departments to provide prompt diagnosis and treatment to patients suffering strokes, blood clots and vascular injuries. Based in Johnson City, NY UHS Wilson Medical Center serves Binghamton, NY and surrounding Southern Tier communities.
Our physicians have access to advanced medical technology that detects disease sooner than ever before. Staffed by dedicated vascular technologists under the direction of a radiologist and a vascular surgeon, our diagnostic area provides a multi-disciplinary approach to patient care. New, painless methods of diagnosis allow physicians to locate obstructions of blood flow in any part of the body. After treatment or surgery, the same tests used for diagnosis of disease are part of the routine follow-up care for every patient.
Interventional Vascular Treatments
The Interventional Radiology Suite at UHS Wilson Medical Center houses modern digital equipment designed to provide the latest in treatment for vascular disease and injuries. Simple treatments are available to prevent clots from traveling through the body and to improve blood flow through narrow passages. Standard procedures include:
- stenting of renal and visceral arteries
- clot-dissolving drugs
- balloon angiography
- intravascular protective devices
- evaluation and treatment of chronic wounds
Sometimes, surgery is the best course of action to treat a vascular condition. Choose the knowledgeable vascular surgery doctors at UHS in New York's Southern Tier to provide the healing care your arteries and veins need, such as ablation, sclerotherapy, or other procedures.
Multidisciplinary Vascular Care
Your vascular surgery team will partner with your primary care physician and any other care providers—including plastic surgeons, podiatrists and endocrinologists—to provide the best well-rounded care for your condition.
Vascular Surgery Procedures at UHS
Your New York vascular surgery doctor will use advanced digital equipment and the latest treatment methods to provide the care you need. Many procedures are even less invasive than traditional surgical methods, which could mean less pain, fewer complications and a faster recovery time for you.
Our New York vascular surgeons at UHS offer treatments including:
- Aneurysm repair – Strengthens your artery by replacing a weakened portion of it with a durable tube
- Angioplasty – Restores proper blood flow in your arteries using a tiny tube with an expandable balloon at the end that pushes aside blockage-causing plaque
- Carotid artery surgery – Restores blood flow to your brain by removing blockage-cause plaque from your carotid artery
- Limb salvage for diabetic foot conditions – Prevents amputation by increasing blood flow to your lower extremities through vein treatments and repairs
- Sclerotherapy – Reduces the appearance of varicose veins and spider veins by closing them off with an injected solution
- Vein ablation – Minimally invasive procedure to cauterize varicose veins
- Vein reconstruction surgery – Increases blood flow by removing clots or blockages in your veins
The UHS vascular laboratories are among the first in the United States and Canada to be recognized by the Intersocietal Commission for the Accreditation of Vascular Laboratories (ICAVL). The accreditation means that our facilities meet the national standards for commitment to quality testing for the diagnosis of vascular disease in four areas: extracranial cerebrovascular, peripheral arterial, peripheral venous and visceral vascular. Participation in the ICAVL demonstrates our high degree of concern for patient care and our ongoing attention to quality assurance.