Heart & Vascular Diagnosis
Find advanced diagnostic tests at UHS to help your physician diagnose your heart or vascular condition in New York, such as cardiac catheterization, echocardiogram, and chest x-rays.
Heart & Vascular Diagnostic Procedures
A variety of imaging and diagnostic procedures can help your UHS doctor evaluate your heart’s function and test for certain cardiovascular conditions. These procedures can also help your physician decide on an effective course of treatment once your condition has been determined.
Heart and vascular diagnostic procedures at UHS include:
- Cardiac catheterization – Checks for a variety of cardiovascular conditions by inserting a thin, flexible tube called a catheter into your blood vessel and up to your heart
- Computed tomography scan (CT or CAT scan) – Produces multiple images of your heart and merges them in cross-sectional views to better examine your heart’s function
- Echocardiogram – Shows your heart’s movement and indicates how blood flows between the heart and vessels
- Resting electrocardiogram (EKG or ECG) – Tests for changes in your heart’s electrical activity while you’re at rest to help determine if your heart is beating normally and if it’s safe for you to do an exercise electrocardiogram (stress test)
- Exercise electrocardiogram (EKG or ECG), or stress test – Tests for changes in your heart’s electrical activity while you exercise to help determine if your heart is beating normally
- Holter and event monitor – A device you wear continuously for 24–48 hours to measure your heart’s activity and rhythm
- Laboratory blood tests – Evaluate the cholesterol, triglycerides (type of fat) and proteins in your blood to help diagnose heart disease
- Nuclear heart scan – Evaluates your blood flow, heart muscle, and heart-pumping ability by injecting into your bloodstream a safe dose of radioactive substance that shows up in an imaging scan
- Chest X-ray – Produces images of your heart that help guide physicians during testing procedures
Expert Heart & Vascular Care Close to Home
Find exceptional heart and vascular services throughout the UHS service area in New York’s Southern Tier, including cardiac catheterization, echocardiogram, and chest x-rays. Services and treatments may vary by location. Your doctor will refer you to the location that best suits your care needs.
Give the lifesaving gift of voluntary blood donationMay 31, 2023
Summer can be a tough time to keep a sufficient blood supply. But the need for blood for emergencies, cancer care, surgeries & other medical treatments doesn't take a break.
New Baldwin Street Traffic Patterns at UHS Wilson Medical CenterMay 30, 2023
Vehicle and pedestrian traffic patterns around the campus of UHS Wilson Medical Center in Johnson City will change temporarily, starting Thursday, June 1.
Keep your kids and yourself safe this summerMay 30, 2023
Warmer weather can be a time of great fun, but there are hazards lurking out there that can put a damper on the enjoyment. By taking a few simple precautions, parents, children, relatives, and friends can make the most of the balmy days of the year.
Trauma team takes part in Battle of the Belts at CF Middle SchoolMay 26, 2023
UHS Trauma team members joined the Broome County Traffic Safety Program and New York State Police at Chenango Forks Middle School this week to participate in their Health Day!