Heart & Vascular Diagnosis
Find advanced diagnostic tests at UHS to help your physician diagnose your heart or vascular condition in New York, such as cardiac catheterization, echocardiogram, and chest x-rays.
Heart & Vascular Diagnostic Procedures
A variety of imaging and diagnostic procedures can help your UHS doctor evaluate your heart’s function and test for certain cardiovascular conditions. These procedures can also help your physician decide on an effective course of treatment once your condition has been determined.
Heart and vascular diagnostic procedures at UHS include:
- Cardiac catheterization – Checks for a variety of cardiovascular conditions by inserting a thin, flexible tube called a catheter into your blood vessel and up to your heart
- Computed tomography scan (CT or CAT scan) – Produces multiple images of your heart and merges them in cross-sectional views to better examine your heart’s function
- Echocardiogram – Shows your heart’s movement and indicates how blood flows between the heart and vessels
- Resting electrocardiogram (EKG or ECG) – Tests for changes in your heart’s electrical activity while you’re at rest to help determine if your heart is beating normally and if it’s safe for you to do an exercise electrocardiogram (stress test)
- Exercise electrocardiogram (EKG or ECG), or stress test – Tests for changes in your heart’s electrical activity while you exercise to help determine if your heart is beating normally
- Holter and event monitor – A device you wear continuously for 24–48 hours to measure your heart’s activity and rhythm
- Laboratory blood tests – Evaluate the cholesterol, triglycerides (type of fat) and proteins in your blood to help diagnose heart disease
- Nuclear heart scan – Evaluates your blood flow, heart muscle, and heart-pumping ability by injecting into your bloodstream a safe dose of radioactive substance that shows up in an imaging scan
- Chest X-ray – Produces images of your heart that help guide physicians during testing procedures
Expert Heart & Vascular Care Close to Home
Find exceptional heart and vascular services throughout the UHS service area in New York’s Southern Tier, including cardiac catheterization, echocardiogram, and chest x-rays. Services and treatments may vary by location. Your doctor will refer you to the location that best suits your care needs.
Stay up to date on COVID-19 vaccine information sessions & Town Hall meetingsFebruary 23, 2021
As the COVID-19 vaccine continues to be rolled out across New York State, there's a lot of information being made available to you.
Wear a mask after you get the COVID-19 vaccineFebruary 19, 2021
It's important to keep wearing a mask and continue to practice social distancing, even after you've received both doses of the COVID-19 vaccine.
Rock Steady Boxing classes now available with UHS Sports PerformanceFebruary 17, 2021
UHS Sports Performance is excited to announce that it is partnering with Rock Steady Boxing Southern Tier as its 2nd affiliate site.
When a storm hits, think Virtual HealthFebruary 15, 2021
With the big storm coming Feb. 15 and 16, here is some helpful information: Now you can use UHS’ Virtual Health option, connecting with your healthcare provider for a visit via your home computer or mobile device.