UHS has provided specialty services for people with the treatment and management of diabetes in Binghamton, Norwich and Southern Tier community for over 35 years. The UHS Diabetes and Endocrinology Center teaches patient responsibility and self management to help the person with diabetes achieve and maintain optimal health. Everyone affected by diabetes-patients, families and friends–can acquire skills to successfully manage their diabetes. Our Norwich, Walton and Binghamton diabetes treatment programs serve the entire Southern Tier community and offers comprehensive resources for diabetics and their families.
UHS Diabetes Center
“I have been seeing Dr. Wilhelm for my type 2 diabetes and thyroid problems. Dr. Wilhelm has given me the best of care. He always listens to my concerns. He is a very caring person and I’m very glad to have him as my doctor.”
- Referral by Primary Care Provider is needed for an appointment with Endocrinology or Diabetes Education.
- All appointments and classes will be billed to your insurance carrier. Please check with your insurance carrier for coverage.
Physician or Nurse Practitioner specializing in diabetes, thyroid or endocrine disorders
- Intensive diabetes management - Type 1, Type 2 and Gestational (diabetes during pregnancy)
- Endocrine disorders (adrenal, pituitary, parathyroid, thyroid)
- Fine needle aspiration of the thyroid
- Insulin pump management
- Continuous glucose monitoring
- Cholesterol management
Provided by Certified Diabetes Educators, Registered Nurses and Registered Dietitians.
- Individual and group counseling
- Insulin starts
- Instruction on injectable diabetes medication
- Insulin pump and continuous glucose monitoring (CGM) education
Type 1 Diabetes - individual appointments available for diabetes education.
Type 2 Diabetes or Pre-diabetes - we recommend attending one of our introductory sessions:
- Meal Planning and Meter Class- 2.5-3 hour minute class for newly diagnosed or no prior education
- Diabetes Refresher Class - 1.5 hour refresher class for those with prior education
After attending the introductory session you will attend the Diabetes Self Management Education Program which is scheduled once per month. Once you attend this class you will be scheduled for an individual counseling session to review your individual progress, records, and goals.
Our comprehensive diabetes self management education program includes instruction on:
- Nutrition, meal planning and carbohydrate counting
- Blood glucose monitoring
- Prevention of complications/decreasing risks associated with diabetes
- Physical activity
- Diabetes disease process and treatment options
- Living with diabetes
Individual appointments are also available for those not able to participate in the group setting.
Gestational Diabetes - individual or group sessions available
The American Diabetes Association recognizes UHS as meeting the National Standards for Diabetes Self Management Education.
UHS’ pharmacy services meet patients’ specific needsFebruary 06, 2023
UHS Pharmacy Wilson Place offers retail pharmacy services to the public around-the-clock.
Employees go red to support Women's Heart HealthFebruary 03, 2023
UHS employees across the system are wearing red Friday, February 3 to support women's heart health and National Wear Red Day!
UHS Nutrition Services offers tips, recipes for heart-healthy eatingFebruary 01, 2023
February is American Heart Month and the perfect time to take advantage of these heart-healthy tips and recipes from UHS Nutrition Services.
Make blood donation a goal for FebruaryJanuary 31, 2023
The American Red Cross is encouraging donors of all blood types to make a heartwarming gesture this month by scheduling and keeping their donation appointments.