UHS has provided specialty services for people with the treatment and management of diabetes in Binghamton, Norwich and Southern Tier community for over 35 years. The UHS Diabetes and Endocrinology Center teaches patient responsibility and self management to help the person with diabetes achieve and maintain optimal health. Everyone affected by diabetes-patients, families and friends–can acquire skills to successfully manage their diabetes. Our Norwich, Walton and Binghamton diabetes treatment programs serve the entire Southern Tier community and offers comprehensive resources for diabetics and their families.
UHS Diabetes Center
“I have been seeing Dr. Wilhelm for my type 2 diabetes and thyroid problems. Dr. Wilhelm has given me the best of care. He always listens to my concerns. He is a very caring person and I’m very glad to have him as my doctor.”
- Referral by Primary Care Provider is needed for an appointment with Endocrinology or Diabetes Education.
- All appointments and classes will be billed to your insurance carrier. Please check with your insurance carrier for coverage.
Physician or Nurse Practitioner specializing in diabetes, thyroid or endocrine disorders
- Intensive diabetes management - Type 1, Type 2 and Gestational (diabetes during pregnancy)
- Endocrine disorders (adrenal, pituitary, parathyroid, thyroid)
- Fine needle aspiration of the thyroid
- Insulin pump management
- Continuous glucose monitoring
- Cholesterol management
Provided by Certified Diabetes Educators, Registered Nurses and Registered Dietitians.
- Individual and group counseling
- Insulin starts
- Instruction on injectable diabetes medication
- Insulin pump and continuous glucose monitoring (CGM) education
Type 1 Diabetes - individual appointments available for diabetes education.
Type 2 Diabetes or Pre-diabetes - we recommend attending one of our introductory sessions:
- Meal Planning and Meter Class- 2.5-3 hour minute class for newly diagnosed or no prior education
- Diabetes Refresher Class - 1.5 hour refresher class for those with prior education
After attending the introductory session you will attend the Diabetes Self Management Education Program which is scheduled once per month. Once you attend this class you will be scheduled for an individual counseling session to review your individual progress, records, and goals.
Our comprehensive diabetes self management education program includes instruction on:
- Nutrition, meal planning and carbohydrate counting
- Blood glucose monitoring
- Prevention of complications/decreasing risks associated with diabetes
- Physical activity
- Diabetes disease process and treatment options
- Living with diabetes
Individual appointments are also available for those not able to participate in the group setting.
Gestational Diabetes - individual or group sessions available
The American Diabetes Association recognizes UHS as meeting the National Standards for Diabetes Self Management Education.
UHS Chenango Memorial's Melissa Stagnaro honored by Commerce ChenangoSeptember 23, 2022
UHS Chenango Memorial Hospital's Melissa Stagnaro, Executive Director of the Chenango Memorial Hospital Foundation, was honored by Commerce Chenango at their September 15 Annual Membership Recognition Ceremony with the Organizational Leadership Award!
UHS Delaware Valley Hospital Board Member HonoredSeptember 23, 2022
UHS Senior Leaders attended the Delaware County Chamber of Commerce awards dinner in recognition and appreciation of Ed Snow, Delaware Valley Hospital Board secretary, and Mayor of the Village of Walton who was honored with the Community Connector Award.
Michelle Brunschmid is the July DAISY Award Winner!September 22, 2022
A program to recognize the care and compassion of extraordinary nurses continues at UHS with Michelle Brunschmid, RN, South Tower 3, being named the July winner of the DAISY Award!
Dr. Yuan and Dr. Bajwa honored with Presidential Award from SUNY UpstateSeptember 20, 2022
Derek Yuan, MD, of UHS Neurology, and Zafar J. Bajwa, MD, of UHS Radiology, have been honored by the State University of New York’s Upstate Medical University with President's Award.