Smart summer treats
Summer is a great time to cool off with some delicious ice cream, or fun fruity sugary drinks, right?
Did you know that kids consume five times more sugar in the summer than in other seasons? Studies show that one in five families said their children snack out of boredom over the summer, usually consisting of high sugary snacks.
How can we help our kids?
- Eliminate soda in the house
- Choose not to offer sweets as rewards
- Make treats “treats”, not everyday foods
- Make fruit the everyday dessert
- Have cut up fruits and veggies readily available
- Stay away from bulk sweets purchases
- Provide high protein meals and snacks
- Stick to small or kid size treats
- Dessert is not necessary every day/night
- Lead by example
Stick to your rules, don’t waiver.
These tips were provided by the the UHS Stay Healthy Rex and Roxy Newsletter.