After getting care for a major illness, injury or surgery at UHS Binghamton General Hospital, prepare to return home by spending one to two weeks in our transitional care unit. We’re Medicare-certified, which means we follow strict guidelines to keep you or your loved one safe and well.
Benefits of Transitional Care
Transitional care may benefit you or a loved one who needs:
- Skilled nursing and medical observation 24 hours a day
- Intravenous therapy (IVs) to deliver medication or hydration
- Tube feeding
- Daily medication injections
- Sterile dressing changes
- Therapy to improve mobility and functioning
Team Approach to Care
Count on well-rounded transitional care from UHS medical professionals and rehabilitation specialists. Your team may include:
- Physical therapist – Helps you move more easily
- Occupational therapist – Shows you how to better complete daily tasks
- Speech-language pathologist – Teaches you skills to improve communication, cognitive abilities and swallowing abilities
- Respiratory therapist – Helps you breathe more fully
- Dietitian – Assists you in choosing nutritious, easy-to-eat foods
- Social worker – Provides education, counseling and connections to community resources
- Chaplain – Offers spiritual guidance
You and your loved ones will feel comfortable in our transitional care unit’s homelike surroundings, which include:
- Dining and activity area
- Nutrition center for healthy meals
- Private conference room for you and your family
- Cable TV
*Due to the dramatic increase in community cases of COVID-19, UHS will be suspending visitation on the Transitional Care Unit (TCU) at UHS Binghamton General Hospital until further notice. We are taking this step to ensure the safety and well-being of patients and staff. This suspension is effective immediately and will be in place until further notice.
Stay up to date on COVID-19 vaccine information sessions & Town Hall meetingsFebruary 23, 2021
As the COVID-19 vaccine continues to be rolled out across New York State, there's a lot of information being made available to you.
Wear a mask after you get the COVID-19 vaccineFebruary 19, 2021
It's important to keep wearing a mask and continue to practice social distancing, even after you've received both doses of the COVID-19 vaccine.
Rock Steady Boxing classes now available with UHS Sports PerformanceFebruary 17, 2021
UHS Sports Performance is excited to announce that it is partnering with Rock Steady Boxing Southern Tier as its 2nd affiliate site.
When a storm hits, think Virtual HealthFebruary 15, 2021
With the big storm coming Feb. 15 and 16, here is some helpful information: Now you can use UHS’ Virtual Health option, connecting with your healthcare provider for a visit via your home computer or mobile device.