National Nutrition Month: Go further with food!
In honor of National Nutrition Month, UHS Nutrition Services will be bringing you tips throughout the month of March. This week's tips will help you go further with food.
Make an effort to reduce food waste:
- Check what’s on hand at home before shopping.
- Use leftovers before they are not safe to eat: pack for lunch; make into a stir fry, soup, or add to salad or a wrap.
- Make extra when cooking and freeze for another time.
Spend less on nutritious food:
- Try one meatless meal a week.
- Add ½ beans instead of all meat to: tacos, chili or soups, burgers.
- Buy weekly sale items of fruits and vegetables, even if they are new foods for you and your family to try.
- Freeze more than you can eat in a few days. Keep frozen and canned fruits and vegetables as options.
Learn new cooking techniques:
- Chop your own fruits and veggies rather than buying prepared ones.
- Use www.ChooseMyPlate.gov as a guide for healthy eating.
- Make half of your plate a variety of fruits and vegetables.
- Make half of your grain choices whole grains.
- Choose Low fat or fat free dairy.
- Vary your protein foods.
- Choose foods and drinks with lower saturated fat, sugar and sodium.
Contact UHS Nutrition Services here to schedule an appointment or for more information.
Article by: Sherri Reed, RD, Clinical Dietitian at UHS Primary Care - Endwell