Flood safety tips
Are you in a flood-susceptible area? Get tips on how to keep your family safe during a flood from www.ready.gov below:
- Turn Around, Don’t Drown! ®
- Avoid walking or driving through flood waters.
- Just 6 inches of moving water can knock you down, and 2 feet of water can sweep your vehicle away.
- If there is a chance of flash flooding, move immediately to higher ground. Flash floods are the #1 cause of weather-related deaths in the US.
- If floodwaters rise around your car but the water is not moving, abandon the car and move to higher ground. Do not leave the car and enter moving water.
- Avoid camping or parking along streams, rivers, and creeks during heavy rainfall. These areas can flood quickly and with little warning.
For more information and to learn what a flood watch and warning click here.
Read more about flood safety guidelines the Red Cross and FEMA here.